- Position Type: Full-time
- Location: Houston
The Tropical Meteorologist will become an integral part of our TropicsWatch team, which issues advisories on tropical cyclones worldwide. In addition, the employee will be trained on the production of videos in our studio.
Reporting to the TropicsWatch Manager, the employee will be responsible for monitoring the tropical oceans and identifying potential tropical threats for our client locations around the world. Potential threats are conveyed to clients via a daily weather briefing, or by issuing tropical cyclone advisories when a disturbance appears likely to develop. Threats are also conveyed to clients via video briefings, which are recorded in our studio. The Tropical Meteorologist works in close contact with the Onshore, Offshore, and Shipping teams, ensuring that we convey a consistent message to our clients. The Tropical Meteorologist is also expected to occasionally participate in research and make presentations at meteorological conferences or to clients.
· Have advanced knowledge of StormGeo, Inc. and its clientele.
· Responsible for high quality, accurate and professional weather forecasts and alerts while maintaining required ISO 9001 quality standards as written in the TropicsWatch Quality Standards document.
· Requires frequent client interactions during tropical cyclone season. Must be able to effectively respond to clients’ requests via phone calls or emails, whether a scheduled daily briefing or a special short-notice discussion is initiated by the client.
· Ability to professionally conduct and lead a conference call, which may include online briefing elements including but not limited to webcam and screen-driven presentations.
· Achieve a comfort level and professional competence in recording video presentations/briefings.
· Be able to analyze weather models for consistency, accuracy, and proper initialization, and be able to explain strengths and weaknesses as well as model trends to StormGeo operations through frequent email updates during active periods.
· Utilize satellite and radar products to conduct 24/7 met-watching for clients subscribed at that level of service.
· Write detailed end-of-shift discussions explaining what weather conditions occurred during the shift and what weather conditions to expect through the next shift and over the coming days for the assigned forecast clients and regions. Also state any changes that were made to the previous forecasts and any differences in the weather models. Client communications should also be noted.
· Display initiative to take-on extra tasks; volunteers to participate in projects. Often tasked to perform research activity for StormGeo or its clients outside of the peak of the tropical seasons.
· A strong focus on research is key. Present research work at meteorological conferences.
· Coordinate weather products with other teams within StormGeo operations.
· Supports other teams, as needed, within StormGeo operations.
· Complete annual and quarterly training as assigned by the Supervisor or Manager.
· Be our clients’ meteorological partner. Understand their operations and know that they are counting on you to keep them apprised of any weather threats to their operations.
· Display initiative and collaborate with the Client Services Team on reaching out to clients via a phone call or possibly an email, to ensure that they are aware of any developing weather threat.
· Exhibit a positive attitude and display winning team attributes. Professional appearance, strong work ethic, and a willingness to accept change and adapt are required.
· May be tasked by the TropicsWatch Manager to train new team members.
· M.S. degree in Meteorology with a tropical weather focus or a B.S. in Meteorology, or closely related physical science, or equivalent military experience, plus 5+ years of tropical weather forecasting experience.
· Must have level of proficiency with Windows PC software including Microsoft Office. Linux and GARP/GEMPAK proficiency is a plus.
· Be familiar with basic Mac computers, including Keynote.
· Required to produce daily, storm-specific, and other videos in our studio.
· This position requires a rotating shift schedule.
· Self-confident, yet able to collaborate and/or accept change in a collegial manner where differences of opinion exist.
· Be able to deal with stressful situations such as severe weather and operational issues competing for priority.
· Must be well-organized and able to effectively prioritize tasks and activities.
· Strong written and verbal communications skills are a must. Will be required to provide client briefings via phone calls, conference calls, and online meetings. May occasionally be asked to present research work at meteorological conferences.
StormGeo is a global provider of advanced analytics and meteorological services to deliver decision support for weather sensitive operations. Since inception StormGeo has analyzed petabytes of data, transforming it into actionable decision guidance to help our customers manage risk and operations, control costs and increase revenue. The company has a leading position in solutions for shipping, offshore oil and gas, renewable energy and corporate enterprise business continuity. StormGeo has 23 offices worldwide of which 7 are 24/7/365 operation centers covering all geographical areas of the world. StormGeo is an ISO-9001 certified company. For more information visit www.stormgeo.com.